Void Sticker

Monday, February 20, 2006

Some Protests are Just Wrong!

I hate to admit it, but Doyle has actually done something right for a change. Yes, surprisingly enough, I support him in this action...as, I suspect, most of Wisconsin does.

Over the years, I have heard of many protests against the war. I've heard of many protests against homosexuality, but this...

The Topeka-based church, led by the Rev. Fred Phelps, believes soldiers' deaths are God's vengeance for the United States' tolerance of homosexuality. It often pickets with signs such as: "Thank God for IEDs," referring to roadside bombs that have killed many soldiers in Iraq.


It's just wrong!

Protesting is one thing, permissible by the Constitution. Free speech is what it is and it is important. However, funerals are solemn occasions. They are not a time for politicizing. They are a time for remembering those who are lost to us, celebrating a person's life and mourning the loss of said life. Setting limits on protests that are designed to intentionally disrupt these solemn occasions should not be viewed as unConstitutional, but as a respectful restriction that would not even be necessary were common sense and common decency an indicative factor in these organized protests.

Our soldiers' families already have to grieve for the sacrifices their loved ones have made. They should not be mocked while doing so. Thank you, Gov. Doyle and Wisconsin legislators, for standing up for the troops and letting these brave men and women rest in peace. Hopefully our courts will show as much decency.

4 Comments:

At 2/21/2006 10:46 PM, Blogger Unknown said...

I think Phelps gives Christianity a bad name. I'm not sure if that will hold up constitutionally, but I can understand why Wisconsin would try to stop him.

 
At 2/24/2006 4:12 PM, Blogger Mark said...

They claim to have worked closely with Constitutional experts. We'll see. Something's got to work to stop this, seeing that common sense wasn't enough.

 
At 2/24/2006 9:19 PM, Blogger Unknown said...

Phelps irritates me, especially when those who are atheists use him as an example of why those who believe in God are somehow connected to him. So I have a hard time being civil when it comes to topics about him. Yes, it also says something about people that use him as an example because they should know better too.

:-)

 
At 2/24/2006 11:03 PM, Blogger Mark said...

I know. I've a lot a problems with homosexuality myself, but this is ridiculous. It makes me begin to see why accusations of homophobia are so wide-spread. I don't think it's deserved by most, but these people are different.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home