Void Sticker

Wednesday, March 08, 2006

Peek-a-boo!

Or, Russ Feingold goes too far...

It's two years away from the next Presidential elections and he's already putting his political ambitions above his current role as a Wisconsin Senator. He's wants to know how to market his platform to garner the support of the nation, so he's going to give Americans all across the nation a chance to write what's on their minds. It's a psychologically sound strategy that has worked in Wisconsin, despite the fact that he doesn't actually use this knowledge to change his own positions. He gives people the feeling of being listened to without the messy side-effects of changing his policies.

Unfortunately, the strategy works, as do the other advertising tactics he uses, as indicated by his continued re-election. You talk to the people of Wisconsin and find they generally do support Russ Feingold. You talk to the people of Wisconsin about the positions Russ Feingold takes on the issues and you get a lot less support--but Feingold is a good guy and couldn't possibly vote like that!

Hmm. It makes one wonder whether we, as Americans, really want to be represented by a man whose showmanship is superb, but who's votes are often ones we don't support? I know my answer is "No!" But, then again, I pay more attention to what people do than to what people say, especially if that person is supposed to be representing me.

10 Comments:

At 3/09/2006 8:15 PM, Blogger Unknown said...

I lost what little respect I had for him during the Alito confirmation hearings. I realize there are alot of people that think he'd make a good President, and I suppose it depends on who is running against him but I'd have a hard time voting for him.

 
At 3/09/2006 10:44 PM, Blogger Mark said...

It wouldn't be at all difficult for me...I just wouldn't do it, at all. I'd rather write in Mickey Mouse.

He's a great showman; I admit that readily enough. That's just not what I want in a representative.

Though, I found it rather unsettling to find that there is absolutely no safe-guard in the Constitution that says clearly that an elected official is actually supposed to represent his or her constituents. I couldn't even find a hint of it. Disturbing!

 
At 3/10/2006 1:26 PM, Blogger Unknown said...

They assume if they don't we as voters won't re-elect them. However if you look around at some of those who have been re-elected? That's obviously not being done.

 
At 3/10/2006 3:50 PM, Blogger Mark said...

No it's not, but it put a hole into my whole argument when I tried writing this piece the first time. Very disappointing. It would have been good, too.
:-(

 
At 3/11/2006 3:51 PM, Blogger Unknown said...

Yes, it would have been good.

I read this piece over at one of the blogs in the life liberty and property blogroll that I belong to.

If you have a chance, I think it will interest you:

Here

 
At 3/11/2006 6:57 PM, Blogger Mark said...

You know me well, Lisa. I find that link very interesting indeed! Thank you!
:-)

 
At 3/11/2006 6:58 PM, Blogger Mark said...

Now all I have to do is find the link so I can copy it...

 
At 3/11/2006 6:58 PM, Blogger Mark said...

Never mind...I managed...totally by accident.
:-?

 
At 3/11/2006 8:01 PM, Blogger Mark said...

I even linked them all by myself!
:-D

 
At 3/11/2006 11:06 PM, Blogger Mark said...

Sorry, Lisa...I dropped your name in signing up and now they think you are me or I am you...or something. Lisa Renee paired with this blog...hmm. I'm trying to get them to fix it!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home