Void Sticker

Wednesday, March 15, 2006

Something light...

After all the seriousness lately, I need a little lightening up.

My husband, Mark, recently finished reading The DaVinci Code. Despite the way he usually reads a book, he finished this one quickly. Which is probably part of the reason it was a best seller. However, that's not to say he liked the book, because it pretty much trashes religion while not even coming close to exploring the established religions that would better suit the mind-set that's explored in the novel.

That aside, we both thought this was rather interesting.

Brown admits he used "Holy Blood" when he wrote "The Da Vinci Code," but that it was only one of several sources and he did not copy its "central themes."

"I have never been shy about saying 'Holy Blood, Holy Grail' is part of this," Brown said. "The whole Teabing section of the book -- those are the sorts of snippets of information that 'Holy Blood, Holy Grail' is very good on."


Apparently he's being sued for stealing his ideas from another book, without giving proper credit. Frivolous perhaps, but then again... Intellectual property should be exchanged freely and credit should be given where it's due. Perhaps Brown should have boned up on the Ten Commandments before he started his project?

8 Comments:

At 3/15/2006 8:01 PM, Blogger historymike said...

The problems with the "Holy Blood, Holy Grail" claims - as I see them - is that they try to copyright history.

Very little in the HBHG book is novel or unique.

Neither, for that matter, is anything in DaVinci Code.

(and HM disliked both in the way that they took too many creative liberties with history, as well as made religious figures into conspiratorial thugs).

 
At 3/15/2006 8:25 PM, Blogger Mark said...

Welcome, Mike! Thank you for stopping by!

I haven't really formed much of an opinion, other than I don't want to read either book, but I thought it was rather interesting to see this big, best-seller being fought over in the courts. Besides, I don't think it's quite fair to all the real history books out there to put conspiracy theories on the same par with them.

 
At 3/15/2006 9:17 PM, Blogger David Schantz said...

I haven't read the DaVinci Code. I heard it had a lot of folks upset. I've been meaning to ask if your a LDS. I see you listed the Book Of Mormon in your favorite books.

God Bless America, God Save The Republic.

 
At 3/15/2006 9:33 PM, Blogger Mark said...

Yes, I am. That's why I asked you about the quad. Though, I'm more of a Latter-Day sinner than a Saint.

 
At 3/16/2006 7:27 PM, Blogger Unknown said...

I read it several times, Emily bought a copy for me, I enjoyed parts of it but I agree with Mike that some creative license with history was made.

:-)

 
At 3/17/2006 12:48 AM, Blogger Mark said...

I have no idea how we got our copy. I lost interest early on when nobody who'd read it (prior to my husband) could tell me whether it was it was fiction or non-fiction. If you can't tell the difference, there's a problem, imo. A fiction novel that tries to pass itself off as non-fiction has an author who thinks too highly of himself.

 
At 3/18/2006 1:13 AM, Blogger Joey said...

I'm with you stephanie. little to no interest in it. the only part of me even close to being tempted to read it is the part that says, "don't you want to really understand what everyone's talking about??" pretty sure I've read enough about it that I'm pretty close to knowing what it's all about. sounds interesting, but I guess I'm too much of a nonfiction guy.

enjoying your blog! I might also add that as of a week and a half ago, my family has joined yours as one with a special needs child. my mom just had a baby boy with down syndrome (yes, I'm a college graduate and my mom just had a baby...). God brings new challenges every day, but they're a joy much more often than not! I just can't wait to get to go see him.

 
At 3/18/2006 9:08 PM, Blogger Mark said...

Thank you, Joey, and welcome!

Congratulations about the new baby brother! While I know a lot more about Autism than I do about Down Syndrome, I can usually find out enough to be helpful. Let me know if your Mom needs help with resources or just needs someone to lean on!
:-)

 

Post a Comment

<< Home