Void Sticker

Wednesday, April 19, 2006

Celebrate Cinco de Mayo!!!

No! Wait! Come back! It's not what you think!

While exploring my new blogroll I stopped by at this blog and found this gem.

Here's a snippet:

For example, I have finally reached the boiling point on illegal immigration. We are a nation of laws, including those that control how visitors can enter this country, how long they can stay and how they can become permanent citizens. I expect those visitors to obey the same laws that citizens are expected to follow; and I expect my government to enforce the law when those visitors choose to ignore it.

It’s bad enough when the invaders (and that’s what they are) sneak across the border by night, then hide in the undocumented crevices of society. It is quite another thing to then demand, by the light of day, that their lawlessness be excused. Such have been the marches staged across the nation and in my Capitol– thousands of lawbreakers protesting my representatives’ efforts to control our borders and stop the lawlessness.

It angers me when the interlopers so brazenly demand the protection of the same law that they flaunted with their very first steps on American soil. My blood boiled as I watched student illegals skip the classes that you and I paid for to protest that you and I aren’t doing enough. I fumed as I watched illegals, waving the Mexican flag, insist that I “treat them like Americans.”

America is my home. I consider myself a generous and hospitable kind of guy, but you have overstepped your bounds when you break into my house… eat my food and sleep in my bed, and then demand that I “forgive and forget” and treat you like a member of the family.


Why it won't solve everything, Bob Griggs is tired of the protests and wants to fight back. Thus, he proposes “Nothing Mexican on Cinco de Mayo” (which is the 5th of May). Being the boycott sort, I rather like that idea. Wanna join us?

Technorati Tags: , , ,

7 Comments:

At 4/19/2006 1:47 AM, Blogger The GTL™ said...

Can't blame this one on the Mexicans... gotta blame it on Vincente Vox and the GOP (mostly). I'd be surprised if they weren't in cahoots with each other. Beneficial to the GOP in the fact that it keeps wages low in American; beneficial to Vincente Fox in the fact that it keeps the money coming back into his country from America.

What's there to lose for either party when it gets down to it?

 
At 4/19/2006 1:53 AM, Blogger Mark said...

I blame the protests, the Mexican flag waving and the perpetual drive to break our law on the illegal immigrants. For myself, I wouldn't have chosen to single out "Mexicans" in this manner, since some "Mexican" restaurants are run by people who are native to other South American countries, but I was quoting him.

It's about counter-protesting, not changing anyone's mind.

 
At 4/19/2006 2:54 AM, Blogger David Schantz said...

Nothing Mexican on May 5th. I think I'll join you. Right down to burgers and fries for lunch. A local Catholic Church and School have a big Cinco de Mayo celebration every year. They serve Mexican food, I go for that. I think I'll skip it this year

God Bless America, God Save The Republic

 
At 4/19/2006 7:17 AM, Blogger Reverse_Vampyr said...

I don't think we should protest Mexicans, per se, but I do agree with the idea of a protest by millions of Americans standing up against illegal immigration.

Bad thing is, I already know of one well-organized protest that LULAC managed to shut down simply because they were of opposite opinion. Combine that kind of opposition (one that simply need whisper the word "racism" to shame people into inaction) with the current laziness of most Americans, and that doesn't leave us with much.

What would be better is if we had some people willing to stand up and make public statements on the news about adhering to immigration laws. People like, oh I dunno, our President.

Still, we gotta start somewhere. This is an interesting idea. Gotta give it some thought...

 
At 4/19/2006 3:39 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Stephanie, thank you for promoting my article; it has hit a raw nerve nationwide on an important topic. Those who worry about harming legal immigrants raise a valid point; here's my thinking on this issue:

In the article, I note first and foremost that the most effective use of our personal resources is to support right-minded elected officials:

"...there is not much that we can do on a local level to combat the illegal immigration problem except support like-minded elected officials with our dollars and our votes."

I have been a community activist in Gwinnett County (GA) for about a decade. I also own a business that provides services to politicians and candidates. I have learned that, with them, "perception is reality." Because they are (legitimately) concerned about their re-election chances, they often act not on the most important issues but on what is PERCEIVED to be the most important TO THE VOTERS. In other words, if you want to accomplish something legislatively, the "buzz" on an issue is often more important than the issue itself.

Second, I have put a great deal of thought into the "politics of business." You may know that Gwinnett has been one of the fastest growing areas in the nation for over a decade. We now have the largest immigrant population in the state and maybe the southeast, with the possible exception of south Florida. In Gwinnett, growth and development is big business.... homebuilding is also the largest local industry to employ illegals.

It is true everywhere, I believe, that if you want to move an issue in a certain direction, you threaten the money associated with it. Frankly, I don't expect my boycott to harm any business to any significant degree, but if it creates OR ADDS TO the PERCEPTION that "we are mad as hell and won't take it anymore," then it may help move the politicians in the right direction.

Again, the purpose of my call is not to harm business, but to influence politicians.

I didn't write about my own efforts to date. For example, I chose to dine at my favorite Mexican restaurant the day after the big march in Atlanta. I go there often; the manager greeted me at the front door. Before we went in, my girlfriend and I asked, "Did you close yesterday for the march?" He replied that he did not, to which I responded that, if he had, I would have quit coming to his restaurant. I explained why.

I have also asked him in the past if he employed illegals. He said that he did not, but even if he does, I know that he's thinking twice about it now just because I asked.

It is a small thing to do, but if everyone was asking the same questions, ESPECIALLY of local business, we could move this issue in the right direction.

Thanks again for your support.

 
At 4/19/2006 7:07 PM, Blogger Mark said...

R_V,

Getting shut down isn't the only difficulty we face when organizing counter-protests. A big part of it is most Americans value their jobs and their schooling too much to "take a day" to go rampaging through the streets. I don't see that as a very productive way to get one's message out, whether it garners attention or not.

 
At 4/19/2006 7:19 PM, Blogger Mark said...

Bob Griggs,

You're very welcome. Moving the politicians to actually represent what their constituents want is a very difficult thing, in my experience. Most Americans want our borders secured, but the politicians aren't moving. Perhaps, if news of this spreads far and wide enough that'll change.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home