Void Sticker

Thursday, April 20, 2006

Feingold's at it again...

I'm a sucker for election campaign finance reform. I admit it. That being said, I don't trust Feingold. Fool me once, shame on you; fool me twice, shame on me.

This is what I'm talking about.

Senator Hillary Clinton is all whiny, because with a new law that's to be implemented Nov. 6th, she might not be able to get money the same unethical way as she did in the good ol' days of her husband's Presidency.

The session began with opposing presentations by former Common Cause chief Fred Wertheimer, who backs Feingold in supporting tougher FEC rulings, and Democratic campaign lawyer Bob Bauer.

Sources said Bauer warned senators they could face criminal charges if they seek general political support from an audience that later makes soft-money contributions.

It was also suggested that political events, like former President Bill Clinton's infamous White House coffees for big donors, could theoretically be criminalized under the new law. The coffees were investigated by Congress and the Justice Department, but no charges were filed.

When Feingold protested that interpretations like that were not rational readings of his law, Clinton, who voted for Feingold's bill, hammered him.

Of course, Feingold says that's not the way the law was supposed to work, rationally speaking, which is why I don't trust Feingold. 'Cause, I have to ask... Why the HELL not!?!

Why can't we expect our "representatives" to raise money cleanly and ethically? Why is it too much for us to ask for them to not be swayed by their campaign contributors? Why is it too much to ask for us to have fair elections?

When Feingold dismissed warnings that senators could face legal challenges on unpredictable grounds under the new law, Clinton exploded.

"Russ, live in the real world," a tight-faced Clinton shouted at Feingold, sources said.

"They will be all over you like a June bug," a source quoted Clinton as later saying, in a reference to Republicans and their allies.

"I also live in the real world, senator, and I function quite well in it," Feingold retorted before 20 senators sitting in stunned silence, a source said.

"She clobbered him," the source added.

The former First Lady has been careful to not upstage her colleagues. Even some of the harshest critics of the Clinton administration have conceded she has been charming. Yesterday's outburst appeared to be her first big blowup with a colleague.

Oh, well. So much for the kinder, gentler Hillary.

But, back to the point...

According to the New York Daily News, Russ Feingold is the "the top Democratic backer of campaign finance reform." All I can say, is with advocates like this, we're in trouble. Kind of makes you wonder why Bush would fare better in Wisconsin than Feingold... NOT!!!

Technorati tags: , , , , , ,

3 Comments:

At 4/20/2006 11:14 PM, Blogger Mark said...

Ah, but he isn't trying to clean up Washington, that's my point. He's playing at it, but nothing's really changing. When the Senators howl because they can't practice their corrupt campaigning any more, Feingold tells them that's not a rational interpretation of his law.

 
At 4/21/2006 8:57 AM, Blogger Joey said...

and that's why I agree with Hillary, though, like I said, I don't agree with her for the "right" reasons. I agree with her that Feingold's campaign finance reform is hardly "reform." I don't agree with her on why it's wrong, though.

 
At 4/22/2006 12:19 AM, Blogger Mark said...

Ah, and see you didn't clarify that before...
:-)

 

Post a Comment

<< Home