Void Sticker

Tuesday, April 11, 2006

Panic, Chaos and Disarray

Today has been an interesting day. First, my husband put into action our plan to change service providers. Our phone service, both local and long distance, is being changed as well as our Internet connection, which is going to be up-graded from dial-up to DSL. For some reason, paired with all the other stress I've been under lately, this created a lengthy moment of panic for me. After all, I haven't been able to blog regularly, which is bad enough, but to lose my Internet connection as well...

My e-mail address is going to change, but I don't know when. I have to devise a way to transfer all the necessary files from my current address to a temporary address, then over to a permanent address. I have to contact the various people and/or organizations that use my current e-mail address in order to keep track of me, and tell them I will have a new address but do not, as of yet, have one. This, btw, includes almost all of my student stuff, so that's going to get messy. Since I won't know what my new address will be until my old one is no longer accessible...

And that's just the start. While I was still sitting at my computer and reeling from the enormous "I didn't think of that..." blow, I heard a big CRACK! and several gasps of dismay. Knowing that two of my children and one of their therapists were out in the backyard, I rushed outside. Hand to my mouth, eyes wide with disbelief, refusing the acknowledge what I saw and yet seeing it all the same, I looked upon my children's swing-set, built just last summer. All three people, the truly important facet of the equation, were milling around looking very guilty, but not injured. The swing, the airplane (baby swing) and the glider were all dangerously askew. One length of the monkey bars was on the ground, while the other half had a few rods dangling off of it. A gigantic crack had split the piece of wood supporting the swings and half the monkey bars completely in half. I covered my face and waved away the apologies. All I could think was, "There's no way I can fix that!"

Then, time passed. The therapy session ended, with us repeatedly telling said therapist that it was NOT her fault, she was in no way liable and NO! she didn't have to pay for it. The boys were still out of sorts, and frankly so was I, so my husband figured a movie was in order. He put the DVD in the DVD player and all we got was a nice long, bright line. The tube in the TV had finally gone out. It was to be expected. The TV had already out-lived it's planned obsolescence. But, today?

That was the most easily resolved aspect of the whole affair. We simply went out and bought another TV, on credit of course. Though it did take some searching to find one that had a flat enough top to put the DVD/VCR player on, but we managed. It's just....just...

Oh, well. After all, tomorrow is another day...

6 Comments:

At 4/12/2006 12:02 PM, Blogger historymike said...

Ugh. Put it behind you, Steph.

"This, too, shall pass..."

 
At 4/12/2006 12:15 PM, Blogger Mark said...

Yeah, I know.
:-)

It just seems that since I made the decision to go back to college things are going wrong at a faster pace than usual. This, for me, is counter-productive. The way I look at it is this: If Satan wants me to NOT go back to college this badly, then it must be the right thing to do!

It may sound silly, but it's always worked for me before.

 
At 4/12/2006 4:58 PM, Blogger Reverse_Vampyr said...

Damn that Murphy and his stupid law.

Hang in there.

 
At 4/12/2006 5:18 PM, Blogger Mark said...

Yeah, there's that too! Thanks.

 
At 4/16/2006 7:16 PM, Blogger Unknown said...

At least no one was hurt and now you have a new tv.

:-)

 
At 4/16/2006 7:31 PM, Blogger Mark said...

Yes, and the tv is very cool. It even has a remote that works! (Our first in eight years of marriage.)

 

Post a Comment

<< Home