Void Sticker

Wednesday, May 17, 2006

Adjustment, Classwork, and Managing My Time

"Opportunity is missed by most people because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work."
--Thomas Edison

For me, the problem with opportunity has never been work. I work hard all the time. For me, the problem with opportunity is sacrifice.

How much am I willing to sacrifice to improve my life?


For me, that is the real question! I want to get a "higher" education...I want a business degree that will make me a more marketable employee and prepare me for starting my own home-based business. I want this because I am tired of living day to day, pay check to pay check, credit card bill to credit card bill. I want this because I want my family to have financial security. I want this because I want a financial future that includes some sort of savings plan to provide for my children when and if they need it, whether my husband and/or I am around to dole it out or not. I want this because I hate having to look in the cupboard and decide whether or not I can afford to buy the kind of food my children eat--which tends to be a bit more expensive than macaroni and cheese due to their special dietary situations.

I want opportunity. I'm willing to work for the opportunity I know this degree will provide my family and myself with more opportunities than we have now. However, the question still remains...

How much am I willing to sacrifice to get it?


See, that's the part that gets me. I never intended to give up blogging. I never intended to give up my role in VOID. I never intended to give up my leisure reading, or watching movies, or going on dates with my husband. I never intended to give up my time with my family, or my time with my friends. I never intended to give up my fiction writing, or my non-fiction writing, or spiritual exploration. I knew I would have to reduce these activities. That I was prepared for... But now... I'm hoping this is just an adjustment period. I hoping I will get the hang of this soon...and then I'll be able to make time for all I want to do.

Because, when it comes right down to it:

How much am I willing to sacrifice to get it?


The answer is this: I'm willing to give up as much as I need to in order to give my family the future I want for them...except for my family themselves.

18 Comments:

At 5/18/2006 3:51 PM, Blogger David Schantz said...

You'll make it because your heads in the right place. Never give up time with family, thats one of the most important things there is. Puting family first has gotten me in trouble at work but management gets over it after a while.

Got to run a family member just ask for help.

God Bless America, God Save The Republic.

 
At 5/19/2006 7:44 PM, Blogger Mark said...

Thank you, David. Right now I'm just trying to find time for everything. I don't know what's going to have to give yet--I'm still hoping I can make it all work!

 
At 5/19/2006 8:49 PM, Blogger historymike said...

First things first, Steph.

You'll learn how to juggle blogging and school after the most important part of your life - your family.

 
At 5/19/2006 9:11 PM, Blogger The GTL™ said...

Stephanie, I have no quick solution, but I have KUDOS to you. Hang in there. If you are the same person who comments at the GTL, you have more than enough conviction, passion, open-mindedness, and bull-headedness to get 'er done ;-)

I have this feeling that this wasn't a "plea for help" as much as it was just the case of a WINNER blowing off some steam while enroute to a HUGE VICTORY over those items which would attempt to stand in the way of you and your goals.

Blog ON, my friend, and do NOT quit. But I have this feeling "quit" doesn't run through your veins ;-)

Blog ONNNNNNNNNNN.........!

 
At 5/20/2006 1:43 AM, Blogger Mark said...

Mike,

My family is still and will always be my top priority!!! I cannot imagine anything short of a direct message from God that would change that--and if I got that, I'd question my sanity.

 
At 5/20/2006 1:46 AM, Blogger Mark said...

GTL,

No, quitting isn't something I'm any good at! This post was more of a "I'm still here!" message than anything else. I've already done better this week than last...I have only one assignment left, and that only because I'm waiting on my partner to catch up with me, which is fine.

Tonight I'm going to catch up on some sleep, and tomorrow I will back, writing, posting and blogging with all you fine folks! And I'm confident that I won't even have to wait until the weekend next week!

Oh, and so far I've got straight A's...so I must be doing something right! :-D

 
At 5/21/2006 3:11 AM, Blogger The GTL™ said...

Straight A's??

Not the least bit surprised, my friend ;-)

Proud of ya ;-)

 
At 5/21/2006 3:30 AM, Blogger Mark said...

Thank you...though, I only have a week's worth of grade so far, it's a good start.

 
At 5/21/2006 7:53 AM, Blogger Unknown said...

The first few weeks are always the most challenging until you figure out a pattern/schedule.

You probably will have to blog less but it's worth it. Your larger goal is what is most important.

Just remember you are going to feel overwhelmed at times, but that will pass and never forget how much you have accomplished so far.

:-)

 
At 5/21/2006 9:10 PM, Blogger Mark said...

Thank you, Lisa. I try to keep in my mind that I've already accomplished a lot--I can do this too! But, like you said, sometimes it's just overwhelming...like when I first write out my assignments for next week. It seems amazing what they expect us to be able to do--then I just do it.

 
At 12/17/2006 2:32 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Cool, you really have a nice blog. I need to take notes on making my blog as good as yours.

http://www.vwd-e.net/g.asp?m=117982CW&goto=/vwdads/sales_letter_01.aspgood affiliate programs

 
At 12/21/2006 5:36 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Cool, you really have a nice blog. I need to take notes on making my blog as good as yours.

http://www.vwd-e.net/g.asp?m=117982CW&goto=/vwdads/sales_letter_01.aspworking one hour a day

 
At 12/23/2006 6:21 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Wow, you really have a nice blog. I really like your blog.

http://www.vwd-e.net/g.asp?m=117982CW&goto=/vwdads/sales_letter_01.aspstop wasting time

 
At 11/17/2009 5:51 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

It is extremely interesting for me to read the article. Thank author for it. I like such themes and anything that is connected to them. I definitely want to read a bit more on that blog soon.

 
At 1/09/2010 8:53 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Bookmarked this. Thank you for sharing. Positively benefit my time.

 
At 1/17/2010 4:33 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

This is a superior article as they all are. I have been wondering wide this looking for some culture now. Its great to receive this info. You are fair and balanced.

 
At 1/21/2010 9:54 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

BTW, try Wifi blocker to jam all spy transmitters in your room or office.

 
At 2/14/2010 10:20 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

[... ] is one another relavant source of tips on this issue[...]

 

Post a Comment

<< Home