Void Sticker

Friday, November 03, 2006

Paul Ryan

Okay, so here's the problem. Due to my association with VOID and my own conscience, I cannot/will not vote for Paul Ryan. It's not that I think he's a bad guy, I don't. I've met him and he was very nice, very personable. I met his wife, and she has deep and abiding concerns for individuals with disabilities, which is always a heart-warmer for me. He's also friends/associates with Mark Green, who I am voting for. As a Congressman, Paul Ryan has not served us poorly, however he has not served us excellently either. He's a staunch Republican, and leans more towards the classic conservative. Which does win some points with me, but he's also too much of a political party man. Which loses lots of points with me. He's not a yes-man to Bush, but he hasn't exactly been effective when it comes to standing up for fiscal conservatism, though he has tried. So, my "no" vote for Paul Ryan is less against Ryan and more against the incumbency that dooms our system to corruption. Ryan's a party to that, but he's not a big-wig in that.

The problem is that his opponent, the only opponent I can find information about (not even a name for anyone else) is Jeffrey Thomas. Thomas, as a candidate, is totally yawn-worthy. Apparently he has just the two issues: Ryan had dealings with Abramoff and health care. His ideal solution for our health care crisis is for the government to administer it and for employers to bankroll it, all on a national level. And frankly that scares the crap out of me. I've seen government administered health care. It's the only health care we currently have access to, and while it's better than nothing, I guarantee y'all who have access to something else don't want it. Admittedly, Abramoff is icky and I don't like that Ryan can be at all associated with him, and health care is a concern. But, c'mon. All the problems in America, and this is Thomas' sales pitch? Please. This is not someone who imbues confidence. This is not someone I want representing me or my area in Congress.

So, the incumbent is out. His opponent, apparently his sole opponent, is out. What to do? Well, I haven't exactly decided yet. And this is the only thing left to decide by Nov. 7. I could vote for Thomas, because it's not like it'd hurt anything seeing as he doesn't stand a chance. But, that seems kind of dirty, considering I think this district should put up a better candidate. I could write in someone, but who? Ah, it's late and I'm still hoping I'll discover another candidate.

4 Comments:

At 11/03/2006 9:02 PM, Blogger Unknown said...

Write in yourself?

:-)

 
At 11/03/2006 9:54 PM, Blogger Mark said...

Now, that's an idea. Except, I would automatically lose my position on the VOID board of directors were I to actually win (off chance, I know). Plus, I think I might be underage and thus ineligible. Maybe that's just for the Presidency. I tend to gloss over that part in the Constitution when I read it; it's kind of like reading Numbers in the Bible. I just don't really care enough to retain it.

 
At 11/03/2006 11:58 PM, Blogger Unknown said...

That's just the presidency so you could write yourself in.

I'm in the same position for a few races here in Ohio where neither candidate appeals to me. I also know I'm voting for a few candidates that probably won't win but, there is still hope that people get informed before Tuesday.

:-)

 
At 11/04/2006 6:00 PM, Blogger Mark said...

Right now, that seems like the most likely option.

Interesting thing, though. We had a Paul Ryan sign in our yard (Mark's choice), and now we don't. We don't know if it blew away, or if someone took it, or what. But we had four signs up, and Paul Ryan's sign is the only one that is missing. That's a hmmm moment.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home